Monday, February 8, 2010

learning to like op shopping

I know op shopping is ridiculously trendy, but I'm not a convert.

I don't have anything against wearing second-hand clothes and I'm certainly not opposed to the prices, but there's an awful lot of legwork involved in being a dedicated op shopper - finding, driving, foraging through racks and racks of mothball-scented clothes. Rinse and repeat, and hope that eventually something decent turns up.

I've also noticed an alarming trend of girls in Melbourne getting a little too into op shop style and ending up looking like this:


Dressing head to toe in op shop clothes will generally create a messy look. Also, because it's become so popular, people tend to be less discriminating when buying their clothes and assume that anything will do just because it's the "op shop look". Yuck.

Aside from the effort involved - and the risk of getting carried away to the point that you look like a bag lady or an extra from Oliver Twist - I'm just not that keen on op shop clothes. They're picked over so often and so meticulously that it's more likely you're going to unearth prized items from the Millers Fashion Club summer collection than a vintage Chanel treasure.

I like my clothes to fit well, which poses another problem, and I like delicate fabrics which don't generally wear well enough to live through more than one owner. I'd be happier hitting up vintage shops than op shops, because there's a bit more choice and more of what I like.

However, in this economy... well, more in my self-induced financial woes... it's probably time to give op shopping a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment